Monday, January 8, 2024

Full tilt (the Cult) (LP 2268)

The Cult  Pure Cult: For Rockers, Ravers, Lovers, and Sinners (Vinyl and CD, Beggars Banquet Records, 1993) ****  

The Cult  Sonic Temple (CD, Beggars Banquet Records, 1989) ***

Genre: Rock

Places I remember: Roger Marbeck gave me the vinyl box set as a gift. He's a generous guy! Sonic Temple I picked up from a second hand shop along the way.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: She Sells Sanctuary

Gear costume: Edie (Caio Baby); Fire Woman

Active compensatory factors
: Pure Cult was released in a variety of formats, my vinyl copy is the 
four album boxset version which included the full greatest hits compilation and live set (but omitting the "amplification breakdown" portion) from the Marquee show. The CD version I also own is the single Pure Cult album (it was great in the car when CD players in cars were a thing - sad face).

This was massive back in 1993 - I'm talking number one and a shedful sold. There are millions of them out there!!

It's great - and everything you need really from the pre 1993 version of the band. All the big hits are there and the double live album at the Marquee is energy plus!

Sonic Temple is a collection of rock songs played by guys who know their stuff. Billy Duffy seems to create riffs for fun, and Ian Astbury delivers in the vocal department.

Only problem is its length - far too long!

Where do they all belong? I stuffed up with my cataloging didn't I. This one should be filed in the T's (The Cult). Next up in the real C's: Sheryl Crow.

No comments:

Post a Comment