Monday, October 16, 2023

Colours (Donovan) (LP 2082 - 2083)

Joan Baez  In Concert Part 2 (Vinyl, Vanguard Records, 1963) **  

Joan Baez  Farewell Angelina (Vinyl, HMV/Vanguard Records, 1965) ****  

GenreFolk 

Places I remember: Second hand shop in Turakina

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (Farewell Angelina)

Gear costume: Farewell Angelina 

Active compensatory factors
: Her growth in confidence from 1963 to 1965 was astounding.

In Concert Part 2 joins with my already owned/reviewed Part 1 to make a complete pair (I hate owning incomplete sets of things). I've downgraded a star compared to Part 1 because it is way too polite and therefore it sounds quaint and dated, plus my copy, although it plays well generally, has a few jumps (it's 60 years old so that's okay).

The best parts are the sleeve notes by Bob Dylan and her version of Don't Think Twice, It's Alright. It's worth restating that these early recordings are not my favourite Joan period.

Farewell Angelina is much better. It's still a transition record as she is slowly heading towards Joan as her own person, rather than an interpreter of others' songs. Having said that, the album does have some strong song selections - Dylan gets four, Donovan one, Woody one.

Where do they all belong? I seem to add to my Joan collection fairly regularly so I'm sure there will be more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment