Monday, October 30, 2023

Outburst (Jackie McLean) (LP 2089 - 2090)

Jackie McLean  McLean's Scene (Vinyl, Prestige/New Jazz Records, 1957) ****  

Bobby Bland and B.B. King  Together Again...Live (Vinyl, ABC Records, 1976) ***  

GenreJazz; Blues

Places I remember: Little Red Bookstore (Hastings) a couple of weeks ago.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: The Thrill Is Gone (BB King/Bobby Bland)

Gear costume: McLean's Scene 

Active compensatory factors
: These two albums came from a recent visit to the Little Red Bookstore to buy Eric Dolphy's Out To Lunch.

Sadly, it had been sold between visits so I looked around for something else to satisfy my urge.

I can remember listening to the B.B. King/ Bobby Bland album at Roger Marbeck's place and being instantly won over by the version of The Thrill Is Gone. I love that song and this version sparkles. So I grabbed that one.

The rest of the album isn't as good as I remember it though. Rose tinted glasses.

Much better is the Jackie McLean album. I've been grooving to it after school for a few weeks now and it just keeps getting better and better.

Jackie is one of my favourite tenor men and he has the wonderful Red Garland on a few of these tracks. He's very democratic on theses sessions from 1956/57. Everyone gets space and a turn.

Where do they all belong? All up a good substitute for the Dolphy. I'll keep a look out for a copy of that one next time I'm at Real Groovy.

No comments:

Post a Comment