Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Kumbaya (Joan Baez) (LP 1079)

Joan Baez  In Concert (Vinyl, HMV Records, 1962) ***

GenreFolk 

Places I remember: Spellbound Wax Company (Gisborne)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Pretty Boy Floyd

Gear costume: House Carpenter

Active compensatory factors: This is an original NZ pressing from 1962, i.e. without the Part 1 title. It's also in mint condition - I take from this that folkies take good care of their records!

Given it's 1962, it's all very fresh and innocent. Kumbaya features a singalong and loads of music teachers were obviously listening as this became a go to at Royal Oak Primary School when I was there (1962 to 1968).

Joan's career was just getting off the ground and her voice is much more pure and fragile at this point. The audience sit quietly appreciating each song but also get her humour when it surfaces.

This isn't my favourite period of Joan, but I love holding an artifact like this from 1962 in my hand.

Where do they all belong? I continue to pick up her albums when I come across them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment