Chris Whitley Living with the Law (Vinyl, Columbia Records, 1991) ***
Genre: Blues, blues rock
Places I remember: Mail order music club.
Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Living with the Law
Gear costume: Poison Girl
Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Living with the Law
Gear costume: Poison Girl
They loom large in his legend (The Album Collection playlists): Part 1; Part 2; Part 3; Part 4; Part 5; Part 6; Part 7; Part 8
Active compensatory factors: This album has survived many culls over the years because the sound he gets from his guitar is amazing. Every time I played it to decide whether to flick it on or not, I realised how good it was.
Active compensatory factors: This album has survived many culls over the years because the sound he gets from his guitar is amazing. Every time I played it to decide whether to flick it on or not, I realised how good it was.
This was his debut album, released in 1991. It features Chris on a variety of guitars - national, acoustic, slide, pedal steel, and electric. The songs are his, but it sometimes feels like these are delta blues standards newly brought to life. The topics are dark and doomy but as with many blues songs - I find them really uplifting.
Where do they all belong? Sadly he passed away from lung cancer in 2005, aged 45 - way too young! His 17 album catalogue remains his legacy. I'm on the lookout for others, including his album Dirt Floor.

No comments:
Post a Comment