Thursday, April 15, 2021

Exposure (Modern Jazz Quartet) (LP 596 - 597)

Modern Jazz Quartet Under The Jasmin Tree (Vinyl, Apple Records, 1968) ** 

Modern Jazz Quartet  Space (Vinyl, Apple Records, 1969) ** 

GenreApple Records 

Places I remember: I found Under The Jasmin Tree in an early version of Real Groovy Records; Space came from Noel Forth, also back in the seventies.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles
Gear costume: Three Little Feelings (Part I) (Under The Jasmin Tree)

Active compensatory factors: I love a lot of jazz, but I don't love the Modern Jazz Quartet. The vibraphone is the principle reason - it's just not for me (unless it's played by Ruth Underwood in Frank Zappa's Mothers Of Invention).

So a lot of this music leaves me cold I'm afraid - hence the two stars. Why on Apple? Well it's a case of who you know it seems: band manager knows a big wig at Apple kind of thing.

The band liked these two albums but returned to Atlantic after Space, so...not that committed to the label were they.

Where do they all belong? I'm pretty sure this the third time I've played these albums (I have a policy of doing a fresh hearing before each of the posts on the relevant albums). I'll keep them in my Apple Records collection though - they are obscurely touched by Beatle dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment