Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Pride and joy (Stevie Ray Vaughan) (LP 605 - 606)

Stevie Ray Vaughan  Texas Flood (Vinyl, Epic Records, 1983) ****

Stevie Ray Vaughan  Couldn't Stand The Weather (Vinyl, Epic Records, 1984) **** 

GenreBlues 

Places I remember: Marbecks Records

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Cold Shot

Gear costume: Love Struck Baby, Rude Mood 

Active compensatory factors
: I was knocked out by the video for Cold Shot when it came out in 1984. Big year 1984 - I was married and we had our first child that year.

So, it's fair to say that music wasn't my main priority in the mind to late eighties, so buying records definitely slowed down as we set up house and started the child raising years. Music on TV was a great saviour though because I could access music for free.

That's where Cold Shot comes in. From there I picked up the first two solo albums from Marbecks when we moved from New Plymouth back to Auckland at the end of 1985.

He certainly had a distinctive style and I'm picking those scenes in Cold Shot weren't too far from the truth - like Hendrix and others - always noodling on a guitar.

He could do it all too - slow blues, pop (with David Bowie), hard rock, guitar wig outs and so on. Tragic waste that he passed away in 1990, in that helicopter accident while getting to another gig.

Where do they all belong? Those are the only records I own by SRV - but more to come on CD. 

No comments:

Post a Comment