Saturday, April 24, 2021

You brought the joy (LP 610)

Freda Payne Contact (Vinyl, Invictus Records, 1971) ***

Genre: Soul

Places I remember: The Music Box (Hastings)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Odds And Ends

Gear costume: Cherish What Is Dear To You (While It's Near To You) 

Active compensatory factors: I had just read a re-release review of this album in Mojo Magazine and I was in The Music Box looking in the soul section for Billy Preston's Encouraging Words for Noel when I came across this album.

The Mojo review had mentioned that a lot of the songs were written by Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier (I love Holland-Dozier-Holland) - that piqued my interest.

When I saw it was on the Invictus label, that clinched the deal so I took a punt. I only know her via the Band Of Gold single so listening to a whole album by her was a new experience.

As an album it's pretty good, and although I think the peak was Band of Gold (not on this album) which appeals more to my pop sensibilities, there are some terrific songs on the album. 

Where do they all belong? Next up in the soul section is Raydio.

No comments:

Post a Comment