Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Death and the lady (Shirley Collins) (LP 604)

Shirley Collins Lodestar (Vinyl and CD, Domino, 2016) ***

GenreFolk 

Places I remember: The Spellbound Wax Company (in Gisborne)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Pretty Polly

Gear costume: Old Johnny Buckle

Active compensatory factors: Contemporary reviews called this 'an austere, foreboding' record and they're not wrong. Not a lot of joy on offer here.

The 38 year gap in recording (check here for details) means this was a big deal in 2016 and it earned high praise.

I can see why - Shirley's voice is amazing and the sparse instrumentation creates that austere atmosphere.

My problem is that the songs are so dark and yes, foreboding that it becomes a really heavy set to get through.

Things perk up a bit for side two (where my selections come from) but death looms large over the record.

Where do they all belong? I'll go back to the seventies and the Albion Bands more often than Lodestar I sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment