Monday, October 19, 2020

What you are (Audioslave) (LP 482)

Audioslave Audioslave (CD, Sony Music, 2002) *** 

Genre: American pop/rock 

Places I remember: Gifted from the Hope family's CD collection

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: I Am The HighwayBring Em Back Alive

Gear costume: Cochise; Exploder 

Active compensatory factors: I was dubious when this came out. 

I love Chris Cornell's vocals in Soundgarden, and I love the first and third Rage Against The Machine albums. I was worried the supergroup thing wouldn't work, and that I was too invested in the original bands, so I backed off buying this in 2002.

When Lindsay Hope very generously gave me his family's CD collection this was amongst the loot. 

Now, I'm not sure what to think really. Audioslave deserve to be heard on their own merits - but I find that difficult to do. My opinion sort of stands that Cornell is better in Soundgarden, and The Rage boys were better with Zack De La Rocha fronting them. 

However, there is no denying the power of the music here. It's one of those albums that grows better with repeat listens.

Where do they all belong? The band released two more albums before calling it quits. I don't own them. Maybe I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment