Monday, October 19, 2020

Emotional winter (Anathema) (LP 485 - 487)

Anathema Judgement (CD, Music For Nations/Sony, 1999) ***

Anathema A Fine Day To Exit (CD, Music For Nations/Sony, 2001) *** 

Anathema A Natural Disaster (CD, Music For Nations/Sony, 2003) ***  


Genre: Progressive Rock

Places I remember
The Warehouse (New Plymouth); Real Groovy Records

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: One Last Goodbye (Judgement)

Gear costumeCloser (A Natural Disaster)

Active compensatory factors
: The first Anathema CD I bought was A Fine Day To Exit - based on a recommendation from my then hairdresser at Headquarters in NP. As we chatted over a haircut we got to talking about music we liked - and she seemed to like the same prog metal bands I did.

Anyway, I got a copy based on the cover - reminded me a lot of Hipgnosis' approach and really liked the sounds - not metal at all really - more progressive and therefore more to my taste.

I backtracked and bought the other two over time.

I don't spend much time listening to the messages - they have a doom metal background which still surfaces in the themes and lyrics on these albums. Instead, I'm a day person! I let the sounds wash over me - my choices above are good examples of that.

Where do they all belong? Four more CDs to come from them after a seven year gap from A Natural Disaster

No comments:

Post a Comment