Thursday, October 8, 2020

Stumbling (Jimmy Barnes) (LP 470 - 471)


Jimmy Barnes Bodyswerve (CD, Mushroom Records, 1984) ** 

Jimmy Barnes Psyclone (CD, Mushroom Records, 1995) *** 


Genre: Australian pop/rock 

Places I remember: Both come via my in-laws, the Hopes. They were disposing of their CD collection and sent me a few boxes to sort through. 

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Fooling Yourself (Psyclose); World's On Fire (Bodyswerve)

Gear costume: Going Down Alone (Psyclone) - another great version featuring some members of Journey is here.

Active compensatory factors
: Basically, I'm a Cold Chisel fan. I like Jimmy Barnes in Cold Chisel. I'm not that fussed with his solo career.

His solo debut, Bodyswerve (good title and cover), was a big hit at the time but in retrospect, it suffers from 1980s production values (those drums - you know of which I speak). But, and here's the thing - if Cold Chisel redid this album* with Barnes it would be so so much better - not 5 star better but I'd certainly add one or two to my rating. *A couple of the tracks were demoed by Chisel. 

Eighth solo album, Psyclone (terrible title and cover) sounds less dated these days, in that the production is much better - cleaner in the nineties, without those tell tale drum treatments. But my point still holds. With Chisel you get a variety of sounds (and vocals). Jimmy is a great vocalist but he's so much more potent within the band.

Where do they all belong? The Cold Chisel albums will continue when we return to the aussie rawk genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment