Monday, October 19, 2020

Tropical hot dog night (Captain Beefheart) (LP 483-484)

Captain Beefheart Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (CD, Virgin, 1979) *****

Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band Ice Cream For Crow (CD, Virgin, 1982) ***


Genre: Alternative pop/rock 

Places I remember: Real Groovy Records (Auckland)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Bat Chain Puller (I'm always a sucker for his spoken vocal style); When I See Mommy I Feel Like A Mummy - both on Shiny Beast. Ice Cream For Crow.

Gear costume You Know You're A Man (sounds clearly Zappa influenced to me); Owed T'Alex (featuring great Beefheart harmonica) - both on Shiny Beast

Active compensatory factors
: There were lots of legal wrangles around this album and the original tapes for Bat Chain Puller

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation, this is quality Beefheart material after the previous lack lustre efforts for Mercury Records: Unconditionally Guaranteed and BlueJeans and Moonbeams.

Coming off the peak of the Bongo Fury tour, Shiny Beast has an amalgamated approach, in that it successfully combines different strands from his past and adds some obvious Zappa influences (and a couple of former Mothers - Bruce Fowler and Art Tripp). Check out my highlighted tracks for exhibit A, B, C and D. My favourite Beefheart album then.

Ice Cream For Crow is my second favourite album by Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band (I like that they are credited on this album). It's also his last before retiring to concentrate on his painting.

Where do they all belong? Captain Beefheart occupies a unique place in the Alternative musical universe. Sho nuff yes he do.

No comments:

Post a Comment