Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Easy does it (Oscar Peterson) (LP 450 - 455)

Oscar Peterson  Blues Etude (Vinyl, Mercury/ Limelight, 1966) ****

The Oscar Peterson Trio  Canadiana Suite (Vinyl, Mercury/ Limelight, 1964) ***

Oscar Peterson Trio with Herb Ellis Hello Herbie (Vinyl, MPS/BASF, 1969) ***

Oscar Peterson and Count Basie  Satch And Josh...Again (Vinyl, Pablo, 1978) ***

The Oscar Peterson Trio In Tokyo, 1964 (Vinyl, Pablo, ?) ***

The Oscar Peterson Trio  Night Train (Vinyl, Verve, 1963) ****


Genre:
 Jazz piano 

Places I remember: All are from Graham Purdy's collection. I bought The Pablo and Verve albums for him when I worked at Marbecks.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Blues Etude (Blues Etude); Wheatland (Canadiana Suite); Blues for H.G., Seven Come Eleven (Hello Herbie); Lester Leaps In (Satch and Josh...Again)

Gear costume: The songs on Night Train spark and sizzle!

Active compensatory factors:
 My dad loved Oscar Peterson's piano jazz style. I don't know why, I never asked him.

The Blues Etude and Canadiana Suite albums were always in his collection from when they were released in the sixties, so his appreciation was well established by the time I was working at Marbecks in the late seventies. Roger got a huge shipment of Pablo imports in and I hunted these albums out for dad for his birthday presents.

I like his playing but I'm not as much of a fan as dad was - I keep them for sentimental reasons. Dad loved them, so they are a little piece of him that I can latch onto.

I suspect you need some understanding of piano playing (like dad had) to appreciate Peterson on a deeper level. I'm much more emotional in my appreciation. Most of those fab tracks (above) are the mid to fast paced ones, I'm not such a fan of the slow ones!

Where do they all belong? Safe and sound in my collection until I've gone and then either to my children or a good home. They belong to someone who will appreciate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment