Monday, September 21, 2020

Fame (David Bowie) (LP 461)

David Bowie Young Americans  (Vinyl, RCA, 1975) ***


Genre: British pop/rock 

Places I remember: One of my last purchases from the RCA Music Club, delivered to my new home in Mt Roskill South.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Right

Gear costume: Young Americans, Fame 

Active compensatory factors: The appearance of John Lennon was my primary reason for buying this album.

Being a completist is tough at times. I was not a huge Bowie fan and his fascination with soul/RnB wasn't my favourite Bowie period. Even he called it 'plastic soul'.

Across The Universe and Fame are the two tracks to include Lennon. Fame, of course, was a huge hit single.

Listening to it again is an interesting experience. My impressions of it haven't changed at all. It still sounds cold (as in lacking warmth) and I still dislike his version of Across The Universe.

Where do they all belong? An oddity in the collection. Ziggy, Diamond Dogs and Hunky Dory are still the three Bowie albums I play the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment