Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Another night (Citizen Band) (LP 460)

Citizen Band C.B. Bootleg (Vinyl, CBS, 1980) *** 


Genre: NZ pop/rock

Places I remember: Slow Boat Records (Wellington)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: I Feel Good (no live version available on YouTube so enjoy the studio one again instead).

Gear costume:  Ladder Song, Julia  

Active compensatory factors: Has it really been 40 years? Seems like last week that me Kevy and Greg were going gaga over Mike and Geoff Chunn's next band after splitting from Split Enz.

They'd joined up with two others - Brent Eccles on drums and Greg Clark on lead guitar, both from Space Waltz, to produce Citizen Band

Two studio albums later and then this live album and that was that. 

Initially, I was disappointed when C.B. Bootleg came out. So much that I sold my copy (this is a replacement bought last year while on holiday in Wellington).

For a starter, the faux bootleg cover is a poor choice - it's been done to death and this one isn't a good example of the sub-genre.

As a live album, it just doesn't have the flow of a live concert. It feels disjointed and a little flat. Having relistened to it, I'm more inclined to its rocky charms. Ladder Song and especially I Feel Good get the juices flowing.

Where do they all belong? Moving to Australia wasn't a good idea (is it ever?), they weren't ours anymore, and then in 1982 it was all over Rover. 

Instead - return to that sublime debut album and dig that tex! 

No comments:

Post a Comment