Thursday, August 27, 2020

Watch the time (Joe Beck) (LP 449)

 

Joe Beck Watch the Time (Vinyl, Polydor, 1977) ** 


Genre: Jazz fusion 

Places I remember: Music bins in a local second hand shop

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Dr Lee

Gear costume:  Not a lot of gear costume here sadly  

Active compensatory factors: Sometimes a punt works out: I enjoyed his Beck album which appeared on Goo Goo a while back. And sometimes it doesn't.

As a consequence of Beck being a nice surprise and Michael Brecker being listed on sax, and this being from the seventies, I thought - take a punt!

Sadly the vocals by Tom Flynn aren't up to much, the lyrics to the songs Tom sings aren't up to much, and the pre eighties commercial jazz funk sheen isn't to my taste.

The progtastic guitar Joe Beck employed on Beck is nowhere to be found here, so, sadly, it's one of those times when a punt doesn't work out.

Where do they all belong? Record collectors are weird beasts. I bet there's someone out there hunting for a good quality NZ pressing of this album to complete their Joe Beck collection. Give me a bell - there's a deal to be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment