Tuesday, May 26, 2020

The epic (Pat Metheny) (LP 417)

Pat Metheny Group American Garage (Vinyl, ECM, 1979) ****

Genre: Cool Jazz 

Places I remember: Marbecks Records. If by now you are thinking - sheesh - he bought a lot of records from Marbecks Records in the seventies and eighties! Well yes - I did, but you also need to remember that I worked there in my University holiday breaks during that time, and I often took my pay in records. I had a stash that I would build up each week and take home when I got 'paid'!


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Airstream





Gear costume:  American Garage  

Active compensatory factors: Metheny is a hotshot jazz guitarist who was recording for the cool ECM label - anything on ECM has a cool cachet, and I was working in the best music store in New Zealand. 


Nothing sums up those late seventies, early eighties times like this album; that guitar sound is pristine.


Where do they all belong? ECM albums have their own niche in the collection - experimental, great sounding, innovative.

No comments:

Post a Comment