Sunday, May 10, 2020

Any way you like it (Thelma Houston) (LP 414)

Thelma Housten Any Way You Like It (Vinyl, Motown, 1976) *** 

Genre: Soul (I don't have a 'disco' section) 

Places I remember: Chaldon Books and Records (Caterham on the hill)


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Don't Leave Me This Way





Gear costume:  Don't Know Why I Love You 

Active compensatory factors: Don't Leave Me This Way immediately takes me back to the late seventies, working Friday nights at Marbeck's Records. This was one of Roger's favourites and for good reason.


The song just builds and builds into a monster; Gamble and Huff can be relied upon for quality!

Sadly there isn't another track on the album that comes close. Side one has two other bright disco numbers but side two is weaker with five songs of varying quality.

Thelma has a presence and a great voice but she needs the right material. Don't Leave Me This Way was perfect for her.


Where do they all belong? As noted above, I don't have a disco genre section in my collection but to me this is soul music with a killer beat - Don't leave me! Satisfy the need in me!

No comments:

Post a Comment