Thursday, May 14, 2020

Crescent (John Coltrane) (LP 415)

John Coltrane Crescent (Vinyl, Impulse!, 1964) ****

Genre: Jazz 

Places I remember: Marbecks Records (Auckland NZ)


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Wise One





Gear costume:  Bessie's Blues  

Active compensatory factors: I'm not sure Coltrane produced a more cohesive side of music than side one of Crescent: t
hree tracks that naturally, seemlessly, flow into each other. It's challenging in parts, soothing in others. I play side one a lot.

Side two is not so successful for me, mainly because Coltrane hardly appears: Lonnie's Lament has a pretty tedious bass solo, and The Drum Thing is a vehicle for Elvin Jones. Neither track I would ladel as essential Contrane.

But trust me on side one: it's the real deal!


Where do they all belong? A Love Supreme was his next release. Read about my response to that one here.

No comments:

Post a Comment