Sunday, May 31, 2020

A-Oddie-Oobie (Johnny Hodges) (LP 418)

Johnny Hodges and The Ellington All-Stars Without Duke Duke's In Bed (Vinyl, Verve, 1957) ****

Genre: Swing 

Places I remember: From Graham Purdy's collection


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Conflab With Rab


Gear costume:  Take The "A" Train 




Active compensatory factors: I got a shock when I noticed on the cover that this was recorded in 1956 and released a year later. I'd always presumed it was a much more modern recreation of the big band jazz that my dad loved.

Thinking this was a kind of Ellington tribute album, I was fooled by the modern looking cover and the fresh (West) German pressing - a pristine piece of vinyl. Plus the sound is so up front and modern sounding. 

I was astounded!

Dad must have bought this in the eighties sometime given the West German pressing stamp.


Where do they all belong? Swing music was my mum and dad's music, not mine, but I appreciate the appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment