Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Day tripper (The Beatles) (LP 420)

 
Nancy Sinatra
 Boots (Vinyl, Reprise, 1966) ***


Genre: Easy listening

Places I remember: Graham Purdy collection. 


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: These Boots Are Made For Walkin' - Nancy goes for the sex kitten look in this great video - a precursor to Madonna, and the ensemble dance routine - a precursor to Michael Jackson and others. Pretty racy for the mid sixties!


Gear costume:  As Tears Go By, Lies 

Active compensatory factors: This album has always been in my consciousness - I can remember seeing this cover in my dad's record collection since I was 9 years old. It had zero impact on me! Just an album dad owned and a music style that I never liked.

Day Tripper is a good example: her version is Las Vegas lounge - dinner and a show style. An afront to the original. Zero sexuality!

This was her debut - an album that included Beatle/Stones/Dylan and three (THREE) Lee Hazlewood covers.

All are rended in that trademark cabaret style (the Dylan is a particularly uneasy version of It Ain't me, Babe);

Why Dad (or mum?) liked it, I'm not sure. I don't recall him playing the album but he must have at some stage.

Listening to it again in 2020, I remain unmoved, although I get the camp appeal. The back cover liner notes by Stan Cornyn are a hoot and although 'of their time', a great accompaniment to the hip sounds on offer.

Where do they all belong? It resides in the Easy Listening section along with dad's other albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment