Thursday, June 4, 2020

Rhythm-a-ning (Thelonious Monk) (LP 419)

Thelonious Monk
 Live At The It Club (Vinyl, CBS, 1982) ****


Genre: Piano Jazz 

Places I remember: Hmmm - I can usually remember where I bought each album but this one escapes me. I have the vinyl but I made my own cover as it didn't come with one. Now I come to think of it, I think I got this from a music shop in Leigh-on-sea in Essex. Not Fives, but a bookshop cum record store that is no longer there. I got a few things there without covers but in mint condition. This was orginally a double album but I only have sides 1 and 2.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Blue Monk

 
Gear costume:  Misterioso

Active compensatory factors: I love Monk's piano playing because he is so different to every one else. He has a truly unique style.

This one was recorded at a small club in LA in 1964 but not released until after Monk's death.The club atmosphere emerges at times with glasses and some conversation from the audience. I can well imagine the place with smoke and elegant women listening to Monk play.

Where do they all belong? Play alongside Solo Monk - also from 1964.

No comments:

Post a Comment