Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Permanating (Steven Wilson) (LP 331)

Steven Wilson Home Invasion (CD/DVD, 2019) ****

Genre:  Prog rock

Places I remember: HMV Oxford St., London. The day before it closed down forever I decided to finally buy this package.


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Permanating (really you need to see the actual DVD for the Indian stylised dance troupe that Wilson shares the stage with). As he says - he wrote a great pop song!





Gear costume:  Lazarus

Active compensatory factors: As I was watching the DVD of this concert (after listening to the CD a few times in the Purdmobile pootling to and from school), I realised something: if push came to shove - I could listen to Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson albums exclusively, and be a happy man.


Yes, I'd miss many things but really, when the man is firing (and he's seldom, if ever, 'off') he is amazing and the listening pleasure to be derived from such activities, is immense.

The range on this concert is breath-taking from full on prog wig outs - Vermillioncore, to tender ballads - Lazarus, to pop confection - Permanating.

The band is as tight as a fish's bum - all locked in and delivering some extraordinary sounds.

Where do they all belong? I own all of Wilson's Porcupine Tree and solo albums and trust me when I say: this one is special!

No comments:

Post a Comment