Monday, September 2, 2019

In my life (The Beatles) (LP 332)

The Beatles Rubber Soul (Vinyl copies on Apple - stereo, and Blue Parlophone - Mono + CD on Apple and Parlophone, 1965) *****

Genre: Beatles   

Places I remember: Marbeck's Records, King's Recording (Abu Dhabi), The Warehouse, friends' copies


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: In My life





Gear costume:  Girl, Drive My Car, Norwegian Wood

Active compensatory factors: This entry marks a return to my previous method of choosing albums to feature on Goo Goo. That is: working through the genres in my record collection, followed by working through the CD collection one genre at a time, ad infinitum (actually, more like, until I hit Zed, ZZ Top, or something).


The first genre in each format is, of course, where music begins for me (and ends): with The Beatles albums. It is its own genre for me. The Greatest of all.

A recap: during this old methodology, I'd been working through the collection and after a couple of hundred albums, I was up to Rubber Soul

Initially, I wrote about it here (I include the link so you can compare the two entries if you have a mind to do so).

As I'm starting the countdown again I thought I'd pivot off this album. Seemed right.  

For some of my (older) friends, like Alison Ivey, it was the first album of the Beatles they actually bought, back in '65. They in turn have donated their (well worn) copy to me and I've slotted them in alongside my pristine copy (mine's the one that's bizarrely on Apple Records).

Me? I came to the album later, in the early seventies, after Hey Jude, The Beatles (white album), Abbey Road, Let it Be, Revolver.

Even though it's clearly a classic, I am partial more to its successors. But, hey, as Macca would say, "It's the bloody Beatles, mate!"

Where do they all belong? Revolver is next up in this progress through The Fabs catalogue

No comments:

Post a Comment