Saturday, July 27, 2019

Working for vacation (Cibo Matto) (LP 325)

Cibo Matto Stereo ★ Type A (CD, 1999) **

Genre:  Japanese/American pop/rock 

Places I remember: The Music Box in Hastings


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Spoon




Gear costume:  Blue Train




Active compensatory factors:  Cibo Matto (means crazy food in Italian) are a band centred around two Japanese musicians - Yuka Honda and Miho Hatori. By the time of this record the band also included Sean Lennon.

What we have here on their second album is some creative alt pop. Actually forget the alt bit - it's superior pop and rock music from some gifted multi-instrumentalists.

I'll confess that I only bought the CD because of the Lennon association (he was dating Yuka Honda at the time), but I'm pleased to report that the quirkiness of the music continued to hold my attention, even if I have no idea what they on about! 


Where do they all belong? They reformed in 2011 and created a third album before calling it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment