Saturday, July 13, 2019

Gone but not forgotten (Anderson Bruford Wakeford Howe) (LP 322 - 323)

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe (CD - Arista, 1989) ***
Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe An Evening Of Yes Music Plus (CD - Fragile Records, 1993) ****

Genre: Prog rock 

Places I remember:  The Warehouse stores when they were interested in selling CDs


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Long Distance Turnaround





Gear costume: Brother Of Mine, Close To The Edge




Active compensatory factors: A recent issue of Prog magazine reminded me of this old set by former members of Yes, before they regrouped for the much maligned (but not by me) Union album.

The studio set is quite dated sounding now, mainly thanks to Bruford's electronic artificial sounding drums. Now Bill Bruford is a great great drummer but this eighties sound is not his finest hour.

Instead I often return to the live set. Even though it has a Roger Dean cover, it's shoddily packaged. Indeed when I first got it I thought it was a bootleg!

Starting off with acoustic instruments (for most of the first volume of this two volume CD set), it is a warm and engaging sound with some welcome twists to my established favourites like Long Distance Turnaround.  

Rick Wakeman follows Steve Howe with some solo turns and almost steals the show! A great Gone But Not Forgotten and Catherine Parr!
  When the full band kicks in it is with power and prog depth. If I want to listen to Close To The Edge (and I do more often than you'd think), I go to this version. 

Where do they all belong? As a one off in the Yes canon but an exciting, worthwhile one off!

No comments:

Post a Comment