Thursday, May 10, 2018

Who's bad? (Michael Jackson) (LP 237)

Michael Jackson Bad (Vinyl - Epic, 1987) ***

Genre: Soul 

Places I remember: Marbecks Records (Queen's Arcade, Auckland)  


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Man In The Mirror





Gear costume: Bad

Active compensatory factors: I grew up with Michael (I'm a few months older than him) and he defined the times along the way quite well. The Jackson 5 years, Ben, and the solo albums up to and including Thriller were signposts of our mutual love of music and development as people.


In 1987, the news eventually broke about Thriller's follow up - a long 18 minute video/song called Bad. Huh?

I had the VHS recorder all set to record the debut of Bad (it was an event!) and I did, but, in the end, the whole thing was a little risible to be honest. 

Now it's as easy as a couple of clicks to find:



By 1987 I was a father of two, and the pop of Bad indicated to me that he was stuck in perpetual Peter Pan mode.

I hung in there through to Dangerous but really, I was going through the motions. Hoping for the best. But it turns out he'd already peaked.

Where do they all belong? In many ways Bad was the end of the pop prince. Dangerous is next and the start (and end) of the self-styled King of Pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment