Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Blood (Anthrax) (LP 234)

Anthrax Persistence Of Time (Vinyl - Island, 1990) ***

Genre: Heavy Metal 

Places I remember: Mail order record club, delivered to Wakefield, Nelson, NZ


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Got The Time (still love this MTV video)





Gear costume: Blood

Active compensatory factors: Energy and passion get me every time. Whereas I find the guttural vocals of modern metal frankly laughable rather than scary, and the hyper speed drumming of Slayer off putting, I remain a fan of Anthrax style metal.


Okay, having said that I haven't actually played this album at all in the past 28 years. 

So  apart from Got The Time ( because time got the time tick tick tickin' in my head is a memorable hook), playing this again in 2018 was like listening to a new album.

Although, having said that, Blood I remember for some reason - maybe an MTV video at the time? Keep It In The Family is familiar as well. I must have listened to this more than I thought back in the (28-years-ago) day.

Apart from those songs though (and Got The Time of course) the album cruises on in much the same way - coulda used some more hooks and some variety I guess but then this is heavy metal after all, right? Don't mess with the formula!

Must mention the cover before I go with its surreal Salvador Dali style. I'll hang onto the album for that alone.

Where do they all belong? Pre-tattooed golden age nineties metal, file alongside Slayer, Metallica and Megadeth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment