Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Spiritual (John Coltrane) (LP 238)

John Coltrane Coltrane "Live" At The Village Vanguard (vinyl - MCA records, 1962) *****

Genre: Jazz

Places I remember: Marbecks Records (Queen's Arcade, Auckland)  


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Chasin' The Trane



Gear costume: Spiritual, Softly As In A Morning Sunrise 

Active compensatory factors: 
My family hated me playing this album. It's not music to use as a background, to let wash over you or to allow the ambience to soak into the atmosphere.

This is music from another dimension. It's called 'jazz' but in many ways John Coltrane is his own genre.

Breath-taking is an over used expression - as in 'it took my breath away' and while it does do that, in this context, it also means controlled breathing - and catch your breath. 

Don't get it? Play Chasin' The Trane. Listening to it can be exhausting unless you breathe properly!

It's intense!

You have to engage with it, control your reaction, live it!

I love this critics description: a torrential and anguished outpouring, delivered with unmistakable power, conviction, and near-demonic ferocity.

That's why my family hated me playing this album!

Where do they all belong? Crescent and A Love Supreme are next up.

No comments:

Post a Comment