Thursday, May 24, 2018

Touchdown (Bob James) (LP 240)

Bob James All Around The Town (Vinyl - CBS, 1981) *****

Genre: Cool Jazz  

Places I remember:  Marbecks Records (Queen's Arcade, Auckland)


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: We're All Alone





Gear costume Angela, Stompin' At The Savoy, and the rest!

Active compensatory factors: You'll instantly know at least one track on this album - Angela (Theme From "Taxi"). It's a muscular version on show here.


As are the rest of these songs - recorded with a variety of combos. All of Bob's strengths are on show and none of his weaknesses (polite production I'd call it).

We're All Alone is a peak. I remember Roger Marbeck playing this and I remember the first time I heard it. Those horns rip!!

And, before you yell - what about the lack of continuity between these live cuts?? Why haven't you taken a point off for that huh?? This isn't like a rock album where I really need to feel it's a cohesive live document. This is jazz! Cool jazz.

Where do they all belong? A 'best of' compilation is probably your next safest bet with the prolific Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment