Thursday, May 14, 2015

One thing I can tell you is you got to be free (The Beatles) #408 - 409

Ike and Tina Turner Come Together/ Honky Tonk Women (Liberty, LYK-3557, 1970)
Ike and Tina Turner I Wish It Would Rain/ With A Little Help From My Friends (Liberty, LYK-3136, ?)

Couldn't find any reference to the I Wish It Would Rain single so I'm not sure about its specifics like the year it came out and I think it's the A side - if I'm wrong, then it should have been. It's a great song with a great groove but...

...listening to Ike Turner play now comes with that yuck factor. I have huge respect for Tina but having read her autobiography there is no way back for Ike.

Given that, I tend to concentrate on Tina in her early incarnation as a part of the Turner regime and she is, of course, a riveting performer and a one in a million vocalist. A force of nature - from her unique female position she delivers Come Together as the sexually charged stream of consciousness that The Beatles could never carry off - even given their omniscient fabness.

Hidden gems: Honky Tonk Women? Tina knew how that felt and her powerful performance makes this song her own and a million miles away from the lewd country honk of The Stones.

For some reason With A Little Help...never takes off. The pace maybe? Not sure, but where she's brilliant with Come Together, she seems unsuited to the quirkiness of the Ringo Starr vehicle from Sgt. Peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment