Friday, May 22, 2015

A holiday's complete (UK Squeeze) #411

UK Squeeze Pulling Mussels (From The Shell)/ What The Butler Saw (A&M, K7920, 1980)

On red vinyl too! Wahoo!

It rather sums up the infectious fun to be had here.

Weirdly, I'm not actually a huge fan of the band overall and I'm not sure why. 

In Tilbrook and Difford we had the eighties Lennon and McCartney; the musicianship was uniformly excellent: it was FUN (Jools Holland on keys was hilarious!) and the very Englishness of the band made the band cool for cats.

However, this is the only song of theirs that I own on vinyl. But wow - what a great song!

The word play is terrific - although I have no idea what's going on really aside from its picaresque Butlins holiday camp scenario - it sounds great!

But what the heck fire is 'And I feel like William Tell, Maid Marian on her tiptoed feet' all about? He feels like William Tell AND Maid Marian??????

Hidden gem: Not in this case - the B side doesn't move me.


No comments:

Post a Comment