Thursday, May 8, 2014

You're a bluebird on the telegraph line (Elton John/ Bernie Taupin) #183

Elton John Funeral For A Friend; Love Lies Bleeding/ We All Fall In Love Sometimes; Curtains (DJM records 12", X  13063, 1975)

Another weird combination here with two tracks from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road paired with two tracks from Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy.

Funeral and Love Lies Bleeding segue together seemlessly. I always associate these two songs together so I was immediately a sucker for this piece of DJM Records product (I had to get past the giant Disco label on the 12").

Somehow the sound on the 12" is IMMENSE - Elton's piano is LoUd, the superb backing vocals are crystal clear in the mix, Nigel Olsson's drums fill the room and those Davey Johnson guitar runs are HUGE (his finest hour). This one is guaranteed to get me up and air guitaring my brains out.

Hidden gems: The softer side of Elton is on display on the B side but he doesn't half go on sometimes. Curtains needed to be drawn way earlier in proceedings (ho ho ho) and We All Fall etc is an okay song but a good reason why I never bought Captain Fantastic - another day at the brick factory for Bernie and Elton, I'm sorry to say. 

But play that A side again...REALLY LOUD!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment