Tuesday, September 1, 2026

I'm alright (Loudon Wainwright III) (LP 4796)

Loudon Wainwright III  Live at the Cactus Cafe (CD, All Access Records, 2013) ****  

Genre: Folk

Places I remember: JB Hi Fi

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Road Ode (a live version from elsewhere)

Gear costume: People in Love (studio version)

They loom large in his legend (The Album Collection playlists): Part 1; Part 2; Part 3; Part 4; Part 5; Part 6; Part 7; Part 8

Active compensatory factors: This is a live broadcast from 1990. The sound is superb and Loudon is at his brilliant best throughout.

It's just him - on guitar, vocals, and harmonica. He's pretty much a musical genius as the deft mixture of humour and melancholia is often in the same tune while he breezily goes from song to song.

Loudon is a fun presence along the way, and this album is warmly recommended.

Where do they all belong? I've sold all my other albums by him over the years, but I've hung onto this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment