Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Comrade (Volcano Choir) (LP 4794)

Volcano Choir  Repave (CD, Jagjaguwar Records, 2013) ***  

Genre: Indie rock, post rock 

Places I remember: JB Hi Fi

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Tiderays

Gear costume: Bygone

They loom large in his legend (The Album Collection playlists): Part 1; Part 2; Part 3; Part 4; Part 5; Part 6; Part 7; Part 8

Active compensatory factors: This is Volcano Choir's second album. I was alerted to it by the presence of Justin Vernon (a.k.a. Bon Iver).

His presence is key for me - his vocals blend well with others and are distinctive enough on their own to add texture to the vocal arrangements. The music begins in quiet tones and often develops its dynamics along the way to create interesting and rewarding soundscapes.

This is music that you need to listen to a lot to gain the nuances. I'm still listening and still gaining insights from the process.

Where do they all belong? Well worth the journey and an interesting offshoot for Bon Iver fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment