Wednesday, October 9, 2024

The end of the innocence (Don Henley) (LP 2757)

Don Henley  The End of the Innocence (Vinyl, Geffen Records, 1989) ***  

Genre: pop

Places I remember: Marbecks Records

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: The End of the Innocence

Gear costume: New York Minute 

Active compensatory factors: In many ways I should dislike this album. I certainly should not have bought it back in the late eighties.

There's the seemingly manipulative corporate rock stance of The Eagles which casts a long shadow. There is the awful cover - Don's smug look and the fey bit of hair covering his model beautiful face and the posy cigarette to make him look, I don't know...street hard? Just looks silly to me.

It was the video to the title track and The Boys of Summer, the earlier single, that gave me the oomph to buy the album.

Shock horror!! I really liked it in 1989 and played it a lot.  

Listening to it again in 2024 and yes, the eighties compression on production does date it, but the songs hold up! Like The Last Worthless Evening for instance.

The rock edge positions it out of Eagles territory, even if Don's vocals are instantly recognisable.

Where do they all belong? This and the Boys of Summer are it for Don Henley in the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment