Friday, July 26, 2024

Silver platter club (John Grant) (LP 2641)

John Grant  Queen Of Denmark (CD, Bella Union Records, 2010) ****  

Genre: Indie folk

Places I remember: Virgin Megastore Dubai Mall

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: TC and Honeybear

Gear costume: Sigourney Weaver

Active compensatory factors: I'd read about this in Mojo Magazine (which I still managed to buy while living in Al Ain) - it could even have been their album of the year (2010), I wouldn't swear to that though, and so I had my interest piqued.

Turns out they were right, if they were saying it was AOTY. It's an excellent set of songs and John Grant has a terrific voice. Given this is debut, it's all the more remarkable.

Although, I have noticed this with debut records - they are often like a release/rush given the artist has usually been working them up for some time.

My only slight quibble - 16 songs makes for a long album! Maybe two songs too long. But I'm nitpicking. It's the CD age and quality is quality when all is said and done at the end of the day and in the fullness of time.

Where do they all belong? My only John Grant CD.

No comments:

Post a Comment