Sunday, June 9, 2024

Something's happening (Peter Frampton) (LP 2549)

Peter Frampton  Frampton Comes Alive (CD, A&M Records, 1976) ***  

Genre: Rock

Places I remember: The Warehouse, St Lukes, Auckland.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Baby, I Love Your Way

Gear costume: Show Me The Way 

Active compensatory factors: I put off buying this for some time.

I have a strange aversion to buying mega popular albums. If it's outrageously popular I get suspicious. Just because it's hugely popular, doesn't make it automatically good, is my contention.

When I did finally catch up, some 20 years after it was released, I could see that it was a good concert albeit an uneven one. But it just caught the public imagination in the mid-seventies and became a monster. Basically, it's soft rock. There is nothing even mildly threatening about the music here, and that includes their version of Jumpin' Jack Flash.

It's interesting comparing the double album to the full version on Spotify. If it had been released originally in an extended format I bet it wouldn't have caught on as it did.

As a double album it works though. The highlights crop up regularly and it stands the feel-good test of time quite well in my opinion. That includes the 13 minutes of Do You Feel Like We Do?

I don't listen to it often, but I enjoy it when I do.

Where do they all belong? A stand alone in my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment