Wednesday, November 22, 2023

I can dream can't I (The Carpenters) (LP 2098 - 2100)

Carpenters  Carpenters (CD, A&M Records, 1971) *** 

Carpenters  Now & Then (CD, A&M Records, 1973) **** 

Carpenters  Horizon (Vinyl, A&M Records, 1975) *** 

Genrepop/rock 

Places I remember: Carpenters CD from The Warehouse; Now & Then from Fives (Leigh-on-sea); Horizon - An album I inherited when we moved into a flat in Victoria Ave, Leigh-on-sea. The owner had passed away some time before we arrived in the UK, and his children had inherited the flat and were renting it to us, but they didn't want the box of records left behind so I kept a few of the classical items, Cream's best of, and this one. The cover has a written note on it - 'To Dad, with love from Feep, Christmas 1983'. Which I think is quite cool!

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Yesterday Once More (Now & Then)

Gear costume: Only Yesterday (Horizon)

Active compensatory factors
: I subscribe to Steven Wilson's contention that there are no such things as guilty pleasures! I have always loved Karen Carpenter's voice. I'm not crazy about Richard's voice or his propensity for schmaltzy arrangements, but it's a package deal!

Carpenters from 1971 was their third album and most commercially successful. It had some big hits - Rainy Days and Mondays was a single I bought for my mum because I think she loved it when it came on the radio (1971 is so long ago and oh so far away now). Superstar is another magnificent song - the definitive version of this Leon Russell/ Bonnie Bramlett song.

On the negative side we have three songs that Richard sings. These are weak efforts, but they are counterbalanced by Karen's amazing voice. It's so smooth, so expressive, so deep, so beautiful.

Now & Then from 1973 is my go-to Carpenters record. Every track is a masterclass and I'm a real sucker for that faux American radio sequence of oldies. It's far superior to the Bacharach/David medley for Carpenters.

Even the Richard moment (singing Fun Fun Fun) isn't too bad - Karen's backing vocals are superb, it's brief, plus the fact that he sounds close to Mike Love - all helps.

Horizon
is also a bit disjointed. There are some great pop moments - Karen is superb, and some of the songs work better than others.  I don't need another version of Desperado but Solitaire is good, and Please Mr Postman is great.

Richard hits form with a couple of his songs - Only Yesterday is terrific and (I'm Caught Between) Goodbye and I Love You is magic as well.

Unfortunately, there are also low points for me - Aurora is a slow start at track one side one and I Can Dream Can't I is not for me.

An uneven album, but there's always Karen's unique voice front and centre. She remains a tragic, much missed figure.

Where do they all belong? A greatest hits collection which distills the best of Karen's vocals and limits the Richard effect are the best bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment