Sunday, July 30, 2023

Shine (Nickey Barclay) (LP 1098)

Nickey Barclay  Diamond In A Junkyard (Vinyl, Ariola America Records, 1976) ***  

Genre: Pop, rock

Places I remember: Vinyl Countdown (el cheapo bins)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: You Can't Love Somebody

Gear costume: Didn't I

Active compensatory factors: I am a fan of Fanny (the band stoopid), and Nickey was a key component of that all female band, playing keyboards and singing. As well as contributing songs.

This was her first (and only) solo offering after she left Fanny. 

The cover image sums her and the album up. She ain't smiling! Instead, we get a sober bunch of introspective (good) songs. 

Where do they all belong? I guess she was disillusioned by the rock biz experience, as she hasn't put out a record since, instead she relocated to the UK and has appeared sporadically. The one interview I read was full of frustration, with clear-eyed views of music and musicians.

No comments:

Post a Comment