Monday, July 17, 2023

Elusive dreams (Nancy and Lee) (LP 1096)

Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood   Nancy and Lee (Vinyl, Reprise Records, 1968) ****  

Genre: Easy listening  

Places I remember: Vikings' Haul (Woodville)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Summer Wine

Gear costume: Jackson

Active compensatory factors: I had been searching for a clean copy of this one for a while and lo and behold, there it was in a secondhand shop in Woodville.

I guess this was a big party record in hip New Zealand circles back in 1968 because up to this point each copy I had found had been in really rough condition.

My copy isn't mint, it has a couple of jumps, but generally it's in good condition.

This has become something of a classic because the two stars are perfect foils for each other. Their duet style is perfect for 1968 and still sounds retro cool in 2023.

The highlights are many - Some Velvet Morning, You've Lost That Loving Feeling and those two above are perfect. High praise I know.

Jackson is interesting because I mainly know it from the Johnny Cash and June Carter version - which isn't raunchy at all! June gives as good as she gets. Instead, Nancy plays it with a knowing coquettishness that also suits the song.

Where do they all belong? It's in the Easy Listening section because that's where I put Nancy's solo album from my dad's collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment