Monday, July 3, 2023

Everything happens to me (Sonny Rollins) (LP 1088)

Sonny Rollins  Sonny Rollins On Impulse (Vinyl, Impulse! Records, 1965 - re-release 1986) ****  

GenreJazz 

Places I remember: Facebook friend purchase

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Three Little Words

Gear costume: Blue Room

Active compensatory factors: I'm not precious about eighties reissues of classic albums. 'The music is the message' after all. This one came out originally in 1965 and was Sonny's first for the legendary label.

Sonny Rollins has a unique, muscular tone which he brings to these five standards with a quartet (Ray Bryant on piano, Walter Booker on bass, Mickey Roker on drums round out the band). 

There's plenty of room for the musicians to stretch out. I could have highlighted any of the tracks but the last two provide a fantastic end to the record, so I went with those.

Where do they all belong? My only Sonny Rollins to this point, but I'll be searching out others.

No comments:

Post a Comment