Thursday, October 13, 2022

Tin roof blues (Pete Fountain) (LP 922)

Pete Fountain  Pete Fountain's New Orleans (Vinyl, Coral Records, 1974) ****  

GenreJazz 

Places I remember: $5 from Record Fair in Palmerston North

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Way Down Yonder In New Orleans

Gear costume: Lazy River

Active compensatory factors: I was browsing through bins at a record fair in Palmerston North a few months ago when I saw this in the $5 bin. The guy beside me going through his bin stopped and said - that's a brilliant album. I said - I've never heard of him but it looks interesting. He said - it's only $5 - worth the punt.

Damn right and it turns out he was right! It's great fun, a bright and breezy album of New Orleans jazz. Pete Fountain, or more properly, his full name - Pierre Dewey LaFontaine Jr., is a clarinetist who knows what he's about.

The record is not in the greatest of conditions but the crackles don't detract and there are no unfortunate jumps. 

Where do they all belong? A great album for a summer's day at Maple Grove that evolves the spirit of New Orleans.

No comments:

Post a Comment