Thursday, October 13, 2022

The breeze and I (LP 921)

Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis 4  Montreux '77 (Vinyl, Pablo Records, 1977) *****  

GenreJazz 

Places I remember: Tom Shaw (Facebook friend)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: This Can't Be Love (whole album available on YouTube but not on Spotify)

Gear costume: Blue Lou

Active compensatory factors: There is alchemy happening here as these titans of jazz continue into the 1970s. Ray Brown and Oscar Peterson are on a whole other wavelength. Add in Eddie 'Lockjaw' Harris blowing over the top, underneath and all around them on tenor sax and whoa! Magic ensues.

'Lockjaw' (no one is definitive on how he came by that nickname) is a tenor man that I'm not very familiar with, but one listen to The Breeze And I and I'm a convert.

Being the late seventies and Montreux, it probably goes without saying that the recording is terrific. It's like they are playing in front of me!

Where do they all belong? I'm not sure why Tom was wanting to part with this, it's an excellent addition to my jazz collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment