Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Morning dance (Spyro Gyra) (LP 929)

Spyro Gyra  Morning Dance (Vinyl, MCA Records, 1979) *** 

GenreModern jazz 

Places I remember: Marbecks Records and then Graham Purdy's record collection.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Morning Dance

Gear costume: Song For Lorraine 

Active compensatory factors: I bought this one for my mum when I was working at Marbecks Records. My memory is hazy on the circumstances: maybe it was her birthday, maybe she'd heard the title track somehow - it was hugely popular at the time, maybe something else. Whatever the case, I bought it for her as it seemed like the sort of stuff she'd appreciate - light and jazzy, quite cruisey and un-demanding.

Jay Beckenstein, the Brecker brothers and Tom Malone are the featured horn players in the band. John Tropea on guitar, Steve Jordan on drums also make appearances. So the expertise is there.

It sounds fine and the tunes are catchy but for some reason, maybe the synths, maybe the strings, maybe the un-demanding bit, it doesn't grab me particularly. Still - I've hung on to it because my dad did and it has a link back to my mum.

Where do they all belong? Another one of those records I'll never part with as it instantly makes me think back to 1979, when she was healthy and fun and alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment