Monday, October 10, 2022

Forbidden fruit (Roy Harper) (LP The one after 909 - 911)

Roy Harper  Valentine (Vinyl, Harvest Records, 1974) **

Roy Harper  Bullinamingvase (Vinyl, Harvest Records, 1977) *** 

GenreFolk rock 

Places I remember: Real Groovy Records (Valentine); Chaldon Books and Records (Caterham on the hill) for Bullinamingvase.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: I'll See You Again (Valentine)

Gear costume: One Of Those Days In England (Parts 2 to 10)  

Active compensatory factors
: Two of his more uneven works for me. 

Valentine sounds a bit drunk and disorderly - maybe because these are songs left over from other earlier sessions, with only a couple of standout tracks. I'll See You Again is a great song - the kind of thing Roy excels at. I'm not sure why he covers Dylan's North Country and a few songs sound like Donovan (not that there's anything wrong with Donovan, but this is Roy Harper!) 

Bullinamingvase is more consistent and features some excellent guitar work throughout. Thanks to better track sequencing, the more electric moments are better integrated into the album's first side, with Breakfast With You successfully ending side one. Unfortunately my vinyl copy has a few moments where it jumps (although it looks blemish free) and rather spoils the flow of my listening pleasure, so I'll need to look for a better copy.

One Of These Days In England fills most of the album with Part 1 leading off side 1 and then parts 2 to 10 filling all of side 2. It's an excellent song suite that rewards repeat listens.

Where do they all belong? That's it for Roy in my collection. Richie Havens is next up when I return to this section of the catalogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment