Monday, March 8, 2021

When I go, I go all the way (Stan Getz) (LP 577 - 580)

Stan Getz West Coast Jazz (CD, Avid Jazz, 1955) *** 

Stan Getz The Soft Swing (CD, Avid Jazz, 1957) **** 

Stan Getz Cool Velvet (CD, Avid Jazz, 1960) ** 

Stan Getz Focus (CD, Avid Jazz, 1961) *****

Genre: Cool Jazz 

Places I remember: The Warehouse

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: I'm Late (Focus)

Gear costume: Downbeat (The Soft Swing) 

Active compensatory factors
: Focus and The Soft Swing are my pick of these four. 

Focus is a suite, with string arrangements that Getz solos against and it's superb. I'm not really a fan of albums that include these kind of arrangements (Cool Velvet tries the same approach and it doesn't work for me), but Focus is a really rewarding album.

The Soft Swing featuring a quartet (that includes Mose Allison on piano) is superb too for different reasons. This is archetypal cool jazz. Feels effortless but it takes genius to get to that point.

West Coast Jazz, featuring a quintet (trumpet, piano, bass and drums) is good but not great.

Where do they all belong? A lot more Getz to come in this sub genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment