Monday, March 22, 2021

Farther along and further in (Mary Chapin Carpenter) (LP 587)

Mary Chapin Carpenter  The Dirt And The Stars (CD, Lambent light Records, 2020) ***

GenreCountry 

Places I remember: JB Hi-Fi (Palmerston North)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Between The Dirt And The Stars (the interweaving of the Stones' Wild Horses is perfect and I love the way the song builds and builds)

Gear costume: It's OK To Be Sad (from her kitchen, during Lockdown)

Active compensatory factors: I'm a fan. It all started with her appearance on Later... with Jules Holland (singing Party Doll) and the Party Doll compilation and the admiration has continued to grow over the years.

This album is growing on me. It's her most recent studio offering and it showcases most of the things I love about her: the vocal style; the acoustic guitars; the calm introspection; the sincerity; and the depth of feeling. 

Where do they all belong? Well that's it for now. I'll continue to seek out the back catalogue that I don't have yet, and I'll always return to the Party Doll album.

No comments:

Post a Comment