Saturday, March 13, 2021

Squeeze me (Diana Krall) (LP 581 - 584)

Diana Krall Only Trust Your Heart (CD, GRP Records, 1995) *** 

Diana Krall Love Scenes (CD, Impulse!, 1997) ** 

Diana Krall When I Look In Your Eyes (CD, Verve Records, 1999) **

Diana Krall Live In Paris (CD, Verve Records, 2002) ***

Genre: Vocal jazz

Places I remember: Inherited from my father's collection

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles
: Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby (Only Trust Your Heart); Fly Me To The Moon (Live In Paris)

Gear costume: I Love Being Here With You (Live In Paris)

Active compensatory factors: My dad loved Diana Krall (maybe as much as he loved Mary Tyler Moore - not sure). His funeral music was easy to choose!

I don't share that love but I admire the ease with which she plays/sings. First album here is actually her second release and has the redoutable Ray Brown on bass and Stanley Turrentine on sax on a few tracks.

Love Scenes introduces guitar as a foil for her piano and vocals, but dispenses with drums. I prefer her traditional jazz trio set up of bass/drum/piano  so this isn't one of my favourites (although it does include Peel Me A Grape). 

When I Look In Your Eyes
is her fifth studio album. It has her in a variety of settings. It won a multitude of Grammy awards (including album of the year). And the syrupy style's not to my taste.

Live In Paris is better as DK gets relatively stripped down (so to speak) for the most part on some great songs: Let's Fall In Love; The Look Of Love: I've Got You Under My Skin; and my favourite - Fly Me To The Moon.

Where do they all belong? A few more Krall to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment